1:1 Executive Coaching-old
What is it?
I offer executive coaching to technology business leaders, primarily founders / CxOs of technical start-ups and scale-ups.
The International Coach Federation (ICF) defines coaching as “partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximise their personal and professional potential, which is particularly important in today’s uncertain and complex environment.”
When is coaching useful?
- Transitioning from a technical SME role into a business leader role
- Developing leadership capability
- Scaling your start-up without sacrificing culture
- Establishing a compelling purpose that moves and inspires others
- Evolving your company mission
- Building the right team
- Prioritising self-care and avoiding burn-out
- Letting go and delegating
- Setting and upholding boundaries and norms
- Addressing disharmony amongst team / critical stakeholders / investors
What is the process?
The very first step is for us have an informal conversation, get to know each other and check on two things: (1) is coaching the right developmental support? (2) are we a good match to do the work together? This conversation is always free of charge for you. Once agreed, we follow the process outlined below. The work, the evaluation mechanism, costs and timelines are clear from the start, so that there will be no surprises or unwanted up-selling.
The full detail
Gathering requirements, defining outcomes, three-way conversation with business sponsor / line manager.
- We start with a three-way conversation that involves the coach, the coachee and the business sponsor / line manager. This is a great opportunity to align on the direction of travel, share expectations, think about ways to evaluate progress and outcomes.
- In some instances, we might use appropriate psychometric tools that help raise self awareness, understand how your personality helps and hinders you in developing leadership competence, what traits you display when you’re at your best and how you might derail in time of stress or unusual conditions, and explore what are some of your core drivers and values.
- In addition, 360° feedback can provide behavioural insights into your preferred leadership style and temperament, top strengths and development areas as a leader, how you can increase your general effectiveness as a leader by comparing the self-assessment with the perceptions of your team members, peers, leaders and critical stakeholders.
- You can find details about my approach to psychometrics and 360° feedback on this page.
- A Coaching Plan will be established, which will clarify the focus, criteria for success, resources needed, roles and responsabilities, timelines etc.
- All input captured in Phase One is brought and discussed during the first meeting of Phase Two. This is an opportunity for reflection, deriving meaning and understanding, generating and testing hypothesis.
- During our conversations, we will use the coaching space as a safe container for deliberate practice, reflection on experience, dividing plans and tests, integrating new perspectives.
- This is always anchored into your reality, constantly scanning for opportunities to practice and apply in your day-to-day environment, at individual and team level.
Evaluation, gathering feedback, defining next steps.
- During this last meeting, we take time to evaluate progress against the coaching assignment objectives, reflect on learning, collect feedback and check on satisfaction (your perspective, your business sponsor / line manager’s perspective). We will also think about upcoming steps.
- When 360° feedback is collected in Phase One, we encourage a re-take of the 360° at the end of the process, to measure and review behavioural shifts.